My heart goes out to all of you who are experiencing disruptions and stress and sickness with this worldwide outbreak of COVID-19. I’ve been watching my inbox fill up with messages on this topic, and, well, I suppose that’s the double-edged sword of the Internet Age and our easy access to information.
I’ve been getting lots of inquiries from friends and community members (thank you!) asking how I am doing since I normally travel so much, and I have to say I am a bit relieved that many commitments are being canceled and that I have an excuse to stay home!
I know many people are feeling the stress of the constant barrage of seemingly bad news and altered routines. I’m convinced that there’s a way to be safe, stay at home, and find our happy zones. We just have to break with the “norm” and embrace some new thoughts. Here are 10 suggestions for creating a new normal and getting unstressed and unstuck.
- Be in gratitude. An amazing shift takes place in our lives when we stop looking at everything that’s wrong and start looking at everything that’s right, even the small things. If you’re following the Federal COVID-19 protocol and staying home for two weeks, use this time to start and end your day either reciting or making a list of all the things you are grateful for.
- Take this time to start a new habit. They say it takes 21 days to embed a new habit, and if you use the 14 days you are supposed to be staying at home then you’re already 2/3 of the way there! What new thing do you want to create in your life? NOW IS THE TIME!
- Read a good book. This can be a delicious way to pass the time. I suggest calling your local library or other favorite literary resource and seeing if they issue electronic books. I just discovered a new author this way and binge-read all 4 books in her first series (and loved every word).
- Discover a new way to connect. Play a card or board game with your family. Ask your loved ones a meaningful question and learn more about them. Reconnect with long-distance friends or family on the telephone instead of texting. Dig up those contacts you haven’t been in touch with for a while and surprise them. I know they’d love to hear your voice.
- Get Organized. Take advantage of this time at home and clean a closet or three. Cull your clothing and get rid of everything you haven’t worn in a year. Go through your home first aid kit and swap out all those old, dried, outdated emergency items. Organize your desk, junk drawer, or ‘drop zone’ where everything accumulates. The de-cluttering will help you to de-stress (trust me on this one).
- Get Creative! Always wanted to write poetry? Write! Have a sewing basket brimming with needy clothing? Get it done. Start a craft project and get your creative juices flowing.
- Try Cooking. Dust off that cookbook and try some new recipes with ingredients you already have in your pantry. Try your hand at baking bread. Heck, just bake (or don’t bake!) some cookies and share them with your family.
- Groom your pets. That’s right, groom them… thoroughly. They’ll love the attention and animals are always a great stress reliever.
- Plan a Trip! That’s right, nothing raises the spirits like thinking about your next motorcycle ride. This pandemic won’t last forever, and when we’re free to roam again you’ll already have the framework of a trip already planned out. May I suggest joining me on the SCMR2020 (shameless plug)?
- Lead with Love. Remember that all of us are feeling the collective stress of the global community in a different way. Just because someone reacts differently to the stress of the moment than you do, remember that we are all interconnected and we all feel the weight of working through this situation. Most of all, be sure to love and nurture yourself in the ways you know that serve you best.
- Plan a summer trip with us and get a free night! Anyone who registers (or is already registered) and pays in full for their SCMR2020 registration by March 31, 2020, will get a FREE NIGHT IN ARLINGTON before or after the 2020 Women’s Motorcycle Conference.
- Stuck inside with the weather not good enough to ride? Give yourself the gift of increased confidence. Take $5 off signed copies of my Boost Your Confidence Through Motorcycling book using the discount code mybestme at https://womensmotorcycletours.com/confidencebook/
- $2.99 Kindle copies of my Boost Your Confidence Through Motorcycling book through the end of March on Amazon.com.
You’ve got this! We’ve got this!